Temporary Residents Admissions
The Department of Education International (DEi) assists families with temporary resident visas to enrol in Queensland state schools.
Enrolment of a student in a nominated state primary or secondary school may be subject to the requirements of the school's Enrolment Management Plan.
This means students may not be entitled to enrol unless they live within the local catchment area, or meet other eligibility criteria contained in the plan. Other conditions may also affect a prospective student's entitlement to enrolment.
Applicants should check the details of any Enrolment Management Plan for their chosen school prior to making decisions in relation to securing accommodation in Queensland.
Which temporary residents do DEi assist?
How to apply
Please refer to the overview of the application process for assistance.
Please apply using the EQI Temporary Residents Application form (PDF, 973KB )
Application and enrolment fees
Information about application and enrolment fees can be found in the Fee Structure and Exemption Criteria (PDF, 1.36MB) factsheet.
Terms and conditions
The terms and conditions of application to enrol as a Temporary Resident in a Queensland state school are outlined in the Terms and Conditions (PDF, 1.35MB) factsheet.
English as an Additional Language (EAL/D) Support
- Dependant children are not entitled to enrol at designated migrant reception centres unless referred by a local school.
- Access to in-school or in-class support from EAL/D staff is determined by the school. If EAL/D support is required the school will make arrangements for the delivery this service.
- EAL/D support is included in the tuition fee.
- Homestay accommodation is not available to students holding a Tourist Visa.
- All dependant/bridging visa students must reside with and be under the care of a parent/legal custodian for the duration of their enrolment.
Validation of school reports
On completion of studies in a Queensland state school and prior to returning to their home country, applicants can request their school reports to be validated by DEi. Please refer to the Recognition of Queensland School Reports (PDF, 736KB)
factsheet for further details.
Client service standards DEi aims to consistently deliver quality services to stakeholders of our international student programs delivered in Queensland state schools. Please take the time to check our commitment to provide you with the highest level of service possible.
More information can be found by at EQI International Student Programs Client Service Standards.