Things to do
- Take a walk and explore beautiful Magnetic Island along a choice of walking tracks.
- Get to know some Australian wildlife, including the legendary saltwater crocodile, at Townsville’s Billabong Sanctuary wildlife park.
- Learn about the history of the tropics at the Museum of Tropical Queensland.
- Browse the city’s fresh food markets and enjoy a picnic on the beach.
- Catch a show at the Riverway Arts Centre or visit one of the region’s art galleries.
- Support your favourite local team at the Charters Towers Goldfield Ashes, the largest amateur cricket carnival in the southern hemisphere.
Industry and research
Townsville is the gateway to Queensland’s vast mineral and energy wealth and is also known for its strong agriculture, cattle and beef industries.
The Port of Townsville is Northern Australia’s transport link to Asia with around AUD $8 billion trade value.
Internationally renowned tropical research institutes contribute to the region’s expertise and opportunities in the areas of tropical health, environmental management, primary industries, industrial processes, chemicals, tropical infrastructure and urban design.
Tertiary education providers
Search EQI schools to find a Townsville school that offers the program and subjects you want to study!