The Gold Coast 2018 Commonwealth Games 'GC2018' will be one of the largest sporting events ever hosted in an Australian regional city. Education Queensland International (EQI), as the international arm of the Queensland Department of Education and Training (DET), will play an active role in supporting GC2018 and its legacy.
To celebrate GC2018, EQI is offering a $5,000 GC2018 scholarship to study at a Queensland Government school, starting in any term in 2017 or 2018.
Studying in a Queensland Government school is a positive, rewarding and life-changing experience. EQI’s GC2018 Scholarship recipients will be invited to share their experiences by becoming EQI international student ambassadors.
What does the scholarship cover?
Each bursary is valued up to AUD$5,000. The scholarship subsidy will cover a portion of the tuition fees for one term or more of an EQI International Student Program (ISP).
Scholarship recipients will be required to cover the remaining cost of their studies, including tuition fees for subsequent study terms/years, homestay costs, Overseas Students Health Cover, course materials, visa application fees, flights and living expenses.
Who is eligible?
Eligible students must either play a selected Commonwealth Games sport*, have high attainments in a sports program or a genuine interest in the Games’ cultural aspects and legacy.
International students who are already enrolled with EQI are not eligible to apply for this scholarship in their current program, or extend their studies in the same program.
International students must also meet the following:
- EQI’s English and Academic Entry Requirements
- Student Visa requirements subclass 500.
The following documents may also be requested:
- A short proposal or work sample, in English, demonstrating the student’s ability to share their study experience through testimonials and social media ‘blogs’ as an EQI international student ambassador.
- Evidence of high educational achievements.
- A letter of recommendation from an academic staff member from the applicant’s school.
- Evidence of high achievement in a relevant field if applying to study an excellence program.
What school programs does the scholarship cover?
This scholarship applies to:
- Junior and senior high school programs
- Junior and senior high school Study Abroad
- Regional high school Study Abroad
- Primary school – Prep to Year 6 (primary school applications will be considered by special request).
Where can you study?
You can choose to study at any Queensland Government school offered by EQI, however, placement will depend on availability, location and subject and excellence program offerings.
How to apply
EQI scholarships will only be awarded to eligible applicants who apply through an approved education agent representing their home country.
EQI scholarship applicants must meet the eligibility criteria and include all the required documents and information in their application. Incomplete applications will not be considered or processed.
For more information, find and contact an EQI authorised recruitment representative for your country.
* athletics, badminton, basketball, beach volleyball, cycling (mountain/road/track), gymnastics, diving, hockey, lawn bowls, netball, rugby, squash, swimming, table tennis, triathlon.
Image courtesy of Tourism and Events Queensland